Thursday, January 25, 2007

LA Art Show and art I'm lusting after


It's that time of year again for the LA Art Show, which, for some, is an art-lovers' delight, and, for others, a venue to show their new boots and coats. For me, it's the art that I'm after. With more than 80 international galleries from around the world displaying their goods, I'm like a sugar-starved baby swimming down Willy Wonka's chocolate river. We attended the opening last night, which seems to be much more of a party that an art opening (although I'm not complaining about open bar and rows of restauranteurs shoving food in our faces). One gallery I made an effort to search out is Julie Baker Fine Art. We found her at last year's fair, and I LOOOVVVE the artists she represents. She's located in tiny Nevada City, California but manages to find some really impressive artists. My new fave is Reed Danziger (shown above), an MFA grad of San Francisco Art Institute, and quite the pro with watercolor on paper. I've had to love her work from afar, or rather on postcards and web sites, until last night, but seeing it in person really set my art obsession wheels rolling. Her images are so full of energy and so organic...the kind of paintings you see a thousand times and still disover something anew each time. A big thanks to Paige Petrone at Venice Magazine for the opening night invitation!

No comments: