Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Remedios Varo for sale?!?!?

I still can't believe we saw this 1958 painting by Remedios Varo, "Papilla Estelar," at the recent LA Art Show. It's currently living at the Frey Norris Gallery in San Francisco, but it can be yours for a cool $1 million. Varo is absolutely one of my all-time favorite artists. I first fell in love with her work at the Museum of Modern Art in Mexico City. Her life story - brought up by her engineer father in Spain, hanging with the surrealists in Paris just before WWII, then fleeing to Mexico at the onset of the war - is as fascinating as her incredibly detailed, delicate and other-worldly paintings. Anyone want to give me $1 million? I really hope this ends up in a public institution for all to enjoy. The Frey Norris Gallery has quite a little treasure trove of work by female surrealists in its "Annex."

No comments: