Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Jon Burgerman at Tiny Showcase

Summer is here, which means there is a whole mess of stuff to interfere with art perusing and purchasing - stuff like swimming pools, beaches, bike rides and margarita happy hours. Then there’s the duffy boating and family visiting and burger grilling and outdoor movie watching. Don’t even get me started on the new organic garden in which I’m partaking! Oh, and then there’s work, too.

Thank the art gods, then, for Tiny Showcase. As long as I can find myself at the ‘puter at 4:30pm on Tuesdays, TS brings art to me. Last week’s was another winner; “Waggledance”! This fantastically fun little work came at such a perfect time, embodying the kooky, chaotic fun that is summer. The madness behind the method is Jon Burgerman (don’t you know that name caused him all kinds of headaches as a kid, but now it’s SUCH a fantastic artist’s name? Although, he is European, so perhaps he was spared the playground taunts he would have found in, say, Topeka).

For you Tiny Showcase virgins, it’s one of the best concepts in the arts – the TS folks enlist artists to create an original 2D work, then they print a limited run, release it via their web site every Tuesday for a mere $20 to $25, then it sells out like hotcakes on a cold Scandinavian morning. This one sold out the run of 100 in about an hour. You must be quick around TS! Then the artist and the TS kids split the proceeds to split the revenue, plus they give $250 to a charity of the artist’s choice. This one benefits Greenpeace!

This was my third acquisition from TS. Click here to see purchase numero uno, by Federico Pazos, and here for dos, by Gregory Euclide.

3 comments:

dog food sugar said...

Cari I'm loving your blog! Sounds like you've got a great summer ahead.

gc said...

Oh, sure, rub in the Euclide piece yet again!

p.s. I heart Tiny Showcase

Anonymous said...

I also heart Tiny Showcase! Thank you again for the gift certy! I'm a-shoppin'...

So, I love the pieces you purchased already! I had to kinda laugh when I saw that Federico Pazos said it "never snows" where he is, 'cause he can't say that any longer- provided he does indeed live in Buenos Aires, that is: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-07-09-argentina-snow_N.htm

Love your blog, punkin!