Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Project Have Hope

When I was in Cambridge, my sister-in-law took me to a really great holiday boutique in a lovely old home. There were six or seven vendors there, each selling things they had hand crafted - except for one gal, who was selling gorgeous beaded jewelry on behalf of Project Have Hope.

I had never heard of this before, and now I love the concept! The beads are actually paper, and are created by a group of 100 women in the Acholi Quarter of Uganda (one of whom is our model here - aren't the beads so lovely?). Proceeds from the sales help these women feed their families, send their children to school, and to establish business opportunities to promote economic stability and sustainability.

So, you can purchase this fabulous jewelry (it became Christmas gifts for many of my girlfriends), AND help women who are working to better their lives! Their web site is terrific. You can read about hosting your own bead party, or you can purchase jewelry, photos and music directly. I love how they photograph their jewelry wrapped around fresh vegetables - like this lovely bejeweled corn!

3 comments:

gc said...

I can attest that they're quite lovely beads and I so enjoyed reading a little more back story on them. TY, rubia!

am said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
am said...

Hi!
I love your blog - so many great ideas and links. My name is Anna and I am Linda's friend who sold you the Project Have Hope beads. I am so glad you like them and thank you for spreading the word. PHH is truly changing the lives of people in Uganda - to quote our new President -"Together we can!"
Thanks again!
:) Anna