Friday, February 01, 2008

Shane Guffogg at Leslie Sacks

If I could somehow work a drive to Brentwood into these hectic days, I'd head straight to Leslie Sacks Fine Art to view the new works by Shane Guffogg, whose work I adore and whom I'd drive much further than Brentwood to see, if I didn't have to do random, time-consuming things like work.

As you can see from this gorgeous image, Secrets of the Golden Flower from 2007, Guffogg is highly skilled at creating layered, hypnotic abstracts. Could this painting possibly have a more apt title? I see secrets! I see gold! I see flowers! Through the gorgeous haze is a beautifully symmetrical play of color, evoking an almost Victorian pattern with a '60s-esque dazed feel.

Some of his work is darker and even more mysterious, like this one on the left, Intimations of Daybreak from 2007. Eric and I were the lucky "winners" of one of Guffogg's work at an art auction last year. I had to rub my eyes and pinch myself when I realized the work would be ours, I love it so much! This one on the right is our own little Shane Guffogg: Book of Secrets from 2006. What secrets do you have, pretty little painting? Do tell!!

No comments: