Thursday, July 31, 2008

My mother the daredevil


My mom has always been open to trying out new things, but she's not exactly a daredevil. But she's always up for a challenge, and when my cousin Jason announced he was putting together a family sky-diving trip, my pint-sized mother signed up!

So off to Iowa she went, and strapped her 95-pound body onto a burly tandem jumper. Surely he thought she was the easiest tandem jump ever, she's so little! Here she is landing; look at her little legs! She said it was the most thrilling sensation ever. The family group included my 19-year-old cousin and my 76-year-old great aunt! Jason was the only fella in the group, so apparently it's the ladies of the family who got the risk-taking genes. I hope to make it to next year's jump - I'm convinced the vast expanse of Iowa's cornfields are the perfect spot to float above.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll see you there next year! I;m jumping too. It looks amazing. I can't believe my mother jumped too. See ya - cousin Jennifer

holarubia said...

Hey Jennifer! I'm so proud of Aunt Linda for jumping! Who knew our mothers were so wild and crazy? :)

Anonymous said...

I can't tell if that's a look of sheer terror or sheer joy on Ginny's face, but that sure is a fantastic picture! Here's to risk-taking, pocket-sized Mamas (you know my pocket-sized Mama is scuba diving in Mexico right now) Woo hoooooooooo!

P.S. Does Ginny hate it when you kiss the top of her head as much as Phyllis does when I do? It might be 'cause I kiss the top of her head, then tell people standing nearby that they should come try it 'cause she smells like sparkly fairies and shiny unicorns. 'Cause she does. Seriously- it's intoxicating.

holarubia said...

Sasha you are so funny! Next time I see mom I'm going to sniff around for sparkly fairies and shiny unicorns.

Anonymous said...

O.K., Cari & Jennifer. . .we've got it in writing that you'll be among the jumpers next summer! You'll love the exhilaration of the free-fall and then floating to earth surveying the lovely midwest landscape.

Anonymous said...

OMG- when I opened this window to read your reply, I got this overwhelming whiff of angel food cake and fulfilled wishes...


and then I scrolled down and figured out it was Ginny's reply comment. (every Mom has her own smell, fyi)

dog food sugar said...

that's so fun!

Vivie Bear said...

oh my gosh that looks terrifying but waaaaaaay to go Ginny! woo hoo! you sure as heck wouldnt catch me doing that, but more power to ya!
ps: my mom kinda smells like iced coffee and watercolor paint. and i guess that's a good thing.
pps: sasha you made me & scott laugh out loud.

gc said...

your mom is my hero!!!

dog food sugar said...

Ginny is all kind of AWESOME for doing that.

Patti you made me laugh: iced coffee and watercolor paints!