Wednesday, October 08, 2008

First Thursdays on SoCo


When I lived in Austin my world kind of orbited around South Congress, home of funky shops and cheap Tex Mex! While the area is certainly more snazzy now (I remember when the San Jose was overrun with prostitutes, and now it's the hippest boutique hotel in the region), it's still totally eclectic. Wandering around South Congress, doing nothing in particular, guarantees some excellent people-watching and, most likely, some excellent music-listening.

And now on First Thursdays it's even crazier down there, with musicians, artists, food vendors and other local denizens filling the sidewalks. It's like a six-block-long party. This video isn't the best representation, but at least I know when I need a quick fix of a Austin on a balmy night, with a lit-up live oak, rambling music and a piece of pizza from Home Slice in my immediate future, I can return to this scene from this month's First Thursday.

1 comment:

dezboi said...

Cari -- not relevant to your post but I just came across this and had to drop a line. This is Mark D, a old friend from the dawn of time. Marcus HS, Flower Mound, that entire yearbook thing? (Is that enough specificity to identify me non-specifically?). Anyhoo, ping me at vitovixa@gmail.com; I'd love to hear from you (it has been, after all, 20 years!)