Friday, April 03, 2009

Closing day and final flurry of visitors

I can't believe it's already a "wrap," but I'm so happy with the exhibition, and it was such fun working on it simultaneous with being pregnant with Junebug. I started working on the show the same month I found out I was pregnant, so it has been a really interesting experience, expecting a girl while immersing myself in the feminist issues explored here. Thanks for all your inspiration, Junebug!

The final visitorship was 1,570 - a pretty remarkable number considering it was only open three weeks, and for only 18 hours per week. I'm happy!

During the last two days of the exhibition, six more friends (plus one wee baby) came to visit! I have to say I think I have the most amazing group of girlfriends, who found time in their busy week to trek to Cypress. Thank you so much, ladies! And now, for the final "gallery" of visitors with their faves:

Brenda with Moira Hahn's "Staycation." I think this piece helped trigger a little spring fever in everyone.








...and Brenda with DJ Hall's "Giggle." She was about to take off for a reunion with her college girlfriends, and found this piece inspiring.







Jen with Selina Trieff's "The Travelers." I was happy to see people connect with Selina's work - her figures are so mysterious that I think some folks find them unsettling, but three visitors today really gravitated to them. Which bring us to...






Sophie with Selina's "Two Women in Red." I love how the figure on the right is seemlingly staring at Sophie.









Kristen (with wee Isla) and Moira's "Staycation." I'm so glad Kristen was able to make it. She's a terrific artist and can capture the human figure so beautifully - I should have included her work! Funny that the last two baby visitors were named Isla (the Scottish pronunciation!).





Myriam with DJ Hall's "Giggle." She said the ladies made her feel "uneasy." I heard that a lot with DJ's figures. They are kind of unsettling, looking both estactic and melancholy at the same time. The blond is totally checking out Myriam.







And, last but certainly not least, Kelly with Selina's "Two Women in Red." Poor Kelly had to navigate around the crew, who were holding off on deinstallation until after her visit. Sorry for the rush, Kelly!

Thanks again everyone!

4 comments:

dezboi said...

Congrats on the success of your exhibit. Also congrats on the upcoming arrival of your "Junebug" (cute nickname too, btw).

gc said...

I have to say enjoyed reading your blog about the exhibit as much as I did the actual exhibit. I loved seeing everyone's favorite.

Ginny said...

Great accomplishment, Cari! From what I've seen and heard, you have every reason to take pride in this exhibit!

Mom

Sasha said...

The exhibit looks like it was incredible, Cari- I so so so wish I could've seen it! Congratulations, punkin!